Event planning can be very exciting. It is easy to get lost in the fun and anticipation of your party, wedding or other special occasion and lose control of your budget. Events can be very expensive, very fast. If you do not plan properly you can find you are spending much more money than you can afford. Planning to save money while creating the atmosphere you are looking to present is important. For example, can you save on the cost of marquee hire by arranging your own pick up and return? This article looks at how to save big when planning your event.
- Setting a realistic budget. Event budgeting is the key to saving. Setting a realistic budget is extremely important. If you want to get serious about saving money, you should know what you can spend, and what you would prefer to spend. Reducing the amount of money available will automatically force you to find solutions instead of just paying for them.
- Creating an initial want list. Knowing what you really want is important. By spelling it out to all those in your planning team, you will all be aware of your own expectations. Your Want List is not always what you will be able to afford to do. By looking at your Want List, you will also see what is unrealistic inside your budget.
- Evaluating essentials on your want list. Allocating a budget is about spreading money around where it is most important. It is important to know what is really important on your Want List. You can number your items starting at the most important to the least important.
- Get quotes. Just like when you are shopping for anything, shopping around is extremely important. There will be a number of event hire companies in your region who will be competing for your business. Ask them what they can do with your budget, or what it will cost to cover your Want List.
- What can you do yourself? We can save money by doing work ourselves in some cases. For example, if there is someone in your team who is loves to homebrew, this may be an excellent option for providing original drinks at your event. Do you need hire cars, or can you ask someone to help? Always look at what options are available to replace what you are going to pay for when you know you can meet the standards you require.
- Allow plenty of time. Rushing to get everything arranged at the last minute will mean you will have to pay for convenience. Planning ahead and allowing yourself considerable time means you can take advantage of the prices you are looking for, and allow yourself time to negotiate. Booking head with party hire specialists will also mean you get a better deal.
Paying for professional help and equipment is the easiest way to create an event. It also means you are not actually involved as much as you might think you are. Balancing what professional help you need, with what you can do as a team, will mean you can create a very presentable affair and enjoy your personal involvement. Keep a cool head, and plan well in advance.
About the Guest Post Author: Tom Mallet is an Australian freelance writer and journalist. He writes extensively in Australia, Canada, Europe, and the US. He’s published more than 500 articles about various topics.